For the uninitiated, ChatGPT has been a revelation in the field of conversational AI, offering users the ability to interact with an intelligent system capable of understanding and generating human-like text. The news that ChatGPT can now read aloud any text message directly via its mobile app has caused quite a stir among tech enthusiasts and early adopters.
How to Access the 'Speak' Feature
Activating the new 'Speak' option is relatively straightforward once it becomes available on your mobile app:
- Update the ChatGPT app on your device to the latest version. For iOS, ensure you have version 1.2024.017 or higher.
- Once updated, open ChatGPT and engage in a conversation as usual.
- When GPT generates a reply, long press on the message you want to be read out loud.
- Select the 'Speak' option from the context menu that pops up.
- The app will display a read-aloud control bar at the top of the screen and begin reading the selected message.
This eliminates the previous necessity of entering a voice conversation mode to hear messages spoken. Android users should stay tuned for the feature to roll out on their platform soon.
Who Benefits from the 'Speak' Feature
Prompt engineers and AI aficionados will find a myriad of applications for this new capability:
- Accessibility: Those with visual impairments or reading difficulties can now have text read to them directly.
- Hands-free multitasking: Users engaged in other tasks who still want to stay connected can listen to messages without having to look at their screens.
- Language Learning: Language learners can improve comprehension and pronunciation by listening to ChatGPT's responses.
ChatGPT, powered by OpenAI, has been pushing the boundaries of what conversational AI can do. Not confined to simple question-and-answer exchanges, ChatGPT is capable of handling nuanced and complex interactions, making it an invaluable tool for developers, researchers, and the general public interested in AI's potential.
The information for this feature update comes from a recent announcement on X.