Social apps came with the most interesting features this week as usual. Most of them are valuable for both creators and content consumers. What's the impact? You may start spending more time on these platforms while creators will start getting more attention.
But where do you think the most attention shifts these days? I would bet on web 3.0 as it is in general and everything related to it. What do you think? Are you testing it already? 🤔
Also, Facebook Messenger came with a bunch of new features to celebrate its 11s birthday but they were only able to release them on iOS 🙈 The only thing that you can access now is a new sticker pack. The same situation is happening with Snapchat that got a new shortcut for scanning feature that is iOS only as well. So... let's see how long will it take them to release an Android version.
- 📲Telegram beta 8.0.0 got an "endless" channel feed and video live stream support for channel voice chats
- 📲ICYMI: TikTok rolled out hashtag and mention stickers to more users
- 📲YouTube shows chapters in search results to all Android users
See more details below 👇
Top features to test this week
The new channel feed is not endless in fact but it goes through the entire list of your unread channels.
It is very easy to access by pulling up from the bottom of the channel that you've read. Then it will show an icon of the next unread channel that will open so you can decide if you want to go there or not. And so on until you will scroll across the whole unread pile that you have.
In case you missed it: These two weren't available to everyone for quite a while. There you can simply mention someone or add a hashtag as you would do it on Instagram for example.
It is easy to test by searching for "tutorials" where YouTubers split their courses into chapters more often. There you can see a small section under the video showing how many chapters are there. It can be expanded into a full chapter sweamlane so you can select the one that you are interested in.
A - Amazon Prime Video
C - Chrome
- Chrome Canary is testing a separate Chrome's language selector that is different from the device language
- Google Chrome is testing multiple windows on Android, a new tab page, and a mute button for global media control on the desktop
D - Duolingo
F - Facebook
G - Gboard
G - Google Assistant
G - Google Maps
- New Google Maps prompt makes clear that turn-by-turn navigation requires you to crowdsource data
- Google Maps may finally show how much your tolls will cost
G - Google Photos
G - Google Play
I - Instagram
- Instagram’s improved search could help close the gap with TikTok
- Instagram's Rolling Out its New Sponsored Product Listings to All Merchants
- Instagram is working on likes on stories!
- Instagram amid rising privacy concerns is working on a Cookies data permissions section
- Instagram is retiring the swipe up
M - Messenger
N - Netflix
S - Snapchat
- Snapmap shows worldwide places and stories by default so you can explore best of the best
- Snapchat's got some goofy new AR features for you to try
T - Telegram
- Telegram beta 8.0.0 got an "endless" channel feed and video live stream support for channel voice chats
T - Telegram X
T - TikTok
- TikTok rolled out hashtag and mention stickers to more users
- TikTok Announces New Shopify Shop Tab for Approved Merchant Profiles
- TikTok rolls out new features that will largely increase revenue opportunities on the platform
- TikTok is testing another new update by exceeding its video limit up to 5 minutes (and even longer) in the coming weeks
- TikTok Is Inviting Developers To Try Out Its New AR Features, Under The Name Of The TikTok Effect Studio
T - Twitter
- Twitter Opens Up Ticketed Spaces to Selected Users, Another Step in its Creator Monetization Push
- Twitter's Testing a New Option That Will Show You the Spaces That People You Follow are Tuning In To
- Twitter's new feature enables users to share a single tweet amongst multiple people
- Twitter tests various new features including recorded Spaces, the ability to create tweets for super followers and displaying the profile category label for business accounts
W - WhatsApp
- Just like other messaging platforms, WhatsApp users will soon be able to express their emotions through the chat reaction feature
- WhatsApp voice messages get a new look in the latest beta
- WhatsApp is working on message reactions!
- WhatsApp for Android is introducing a payment chat shortcut
Y - YouTube
- One of the best indie real-time strategy games released in the last few years lands on Android today
- The Final Fantasy IV pixel remaster is coming soon to Android, you spoony bard
- Marvel Future Revolution looks so premium that you can almost excuse the F2P nonsense
- Pokémon GO reverses course: You'll be able to hit that Pokestop from the other block again
On the TestingCatalog side I am preparing a new channel to deep dive into what's happening behind the TC project and where is it going. It will be a bit more about building a news publishing platform rather than about an Android app but some of you may find it useful. This will also allow the community to participate in decision making on some topics. Stay tuned!