The first beta for Poweramp v3 is now available with a radical design change and many improvements in towDate: 10 Aug 2018Author: Eray R
Screenshot IScreenshot IIScreenshot III
Poweramp Music Player beta ReportDevices
Huawei P8, Android 6.0
The Poweramp Music Player app was very popular because of the sound quality it had but lacked in terms of design. It looked like it was designed in 2010-ish. It was time for a change and as there weren't any updates since 2016, the developer has been cooking something from the ground-up. First, we saw some preview builds and today we got the official beta here for testing. It's supposed to be having a close to a final feature set. Let's dive into the changes it brings to the table:
A whole lot different UI
The UI got a nice refresh with settings for album covers which can be used as a background for the Now playing screen. It supports blur too and you can customize it to your liking by heading into the settings - tap on the hamburger menu button at the bottom right, select Settings - Background, and "Voila!".
There is also a new bottom bar with controls for Library, Equalizer, Search and Menu. The Library page has some new colored icons reminiscent of Android Pie and to open the Queue, you have to tap on the cover image from the Now playing screen.
I want to say that personally, I don't like the bottom bar with its grey colors, and the Now playing page is a bit cluttered.
Better sound quality
This update brings also some sound quality enhancements to the already great one. It also supports 64bit processing and devices with embedded DACs like the Lenovo X3. There are a few new eq features included.
Changelog since the beta preview
- all Library categories, including all the actions
- Dark Skin + per skin options - Pro Buttons, Static Wave Seekbar
- Poweramp can be shown on lock screen (vs separate lock screen UI previously)
- support for multiple item selection/actions in all categories, including Search
- new per-artist selectable and downloadable images
- new Low Rated category
- Folders Hierarchy (and many others) category can be enabled via Library menu => List Options
- removed ringtone action / removed per-song equalizer preset assignment
- per-output assigned presets now applied on output change and Poweramp start (previously were applied on each track change as well)
- improved headset button handling for Android 8.0+
- dynamic playlists (e.g. Recently Played, Top Rated, etc.) now can have more than 200 items as in v2
- Lenovo X3 ESS DAC 24bit support
- OpenSL HD Output renamed to OpenSL Hi-Res Output
- settings were reorganized slightly
- landscape layouts added
To recap, this was a much-needed update and we look forward to seeing what comes next. We hope to get more UI improvements and maybe a Material Design 2 implementation.