A plethora of fixes, channel messages in group chats, Hungarian localization, and more in the latest set of Telegram X updates
Telegram's second, sort of official, messaging client for Android has received a couple of updates recently. The newest of the bunch is version 0.21.9.1171 RC from June 5th, with the 'RC' moniker which stands for release candidate, meaning that the build is near production ready.
Apart from dozens of bugs squashed, Telegram X now comes with Hungarian localization, plus many needed improvements to the welcome screen after signing up and the initial importing process of your contacts list. Moreover, following the OG Telegram app, the X now bakes in support for channel messages in groups, letting you connect one channel with a group. Then, once you share a post on your channel, it is going to be automatically forwarded to the connected group, and pinned at the same time.
Besides, here are the full release notes for those who are interested.
Telegram X is now available in Hungarian.
- Supported channel messages in groups (messages, chats list, notifications)
- t.me/s/tgx_android links open in browser
- Improved welcome screen after signing up & importing contacts
- Downgraded libtgvoip to 2.4.4 in beta track (same as in stable)
- Fixed crash after finishing a call
- Channel messages in groups
- Fixed crashes
If you have recently started experiencing crashes in the stable version (caused by Telegram's server changes,) join the beta to get this version faster.
- The in-app browser is used for t.me/s/tgx_android links as well when enabled
- Updated TDLib: fixed crashes
- Changes above
- Fixed two internal crashes
- Potentially fixed the message syncing issue
- Fixed "Requested data is inaccessible" in stickers archive when all of the sticker sets are banned
- Fixed a couple of other bugs
[Available in stable now] Telegram X is readying options to switch emoji styles, display big emojis, and more (Beta updates)
The last stable release, version 0.21.7.1154, for Telegram X delivered an enormous amount of notification-related upgrades that you can learn more about from this blog post. Since then, numerous test builds have been made available on the Play Store for signed early adopters, with the most up-to-date one being 0.21.8.1163 at the time of writing this article. Alas, these betas have packed in tons of fixes including some nifty features that may catch your fancy. We have gone through the release notes for the past 9 builds and created a summary list with the most exciting news about the app.
- Option to change the Emoji Set
- Option to clear installed Emoji Sets
- Reincarnation of Blobs 🤔
- Reworked text rendering. For default text size nothing should have changed visually. For others:
- Proper bubble height calculation
- Proper touch detection
- Proper link press highlighting
- More comfortable line spacing while using larger text sizes
Any system font should work properly inside message texts & media captions
Reworked emoji rendering:
- Emojis are now slightly bigger
- Better positioning, especially in chats list and message input
- While using larger text sizes, emojis will now position properly
- Faster emoji rendering
- Smoother scrolling in the emoji keyboard
Added little spacing between twitter emojis
Text size now affects link previews as well
- Optimized options menu animation
- Big emoji when there are only a few of them in a message and they are the only content (+ an option to disable this behavior)
- Changed the medium font used when "Use system fonts" is enabled
- Improved internal error reporting for TDLib issues
- Much faster text & emoji processing while typing a message
- "Copy" for messages preserves markdown as well
- Slightly increased Big Emoji size when using text size smaller than the default one
So, in a nutshell, Telegram X now calculates placements of text, emojis and other UI elements in a completely different way, thus noticeably improving speed, scrolling performance as well as touch recognition precision. Moreover, the app has an option in the Themes and Chats settings to change the preferred emoji set. Currently, you can choose between 8 different emoji styles: Apple, Google, JoyPixels (EmojiOne), Twitter, Samsung, Microsoft, Blob (by Google), and Facebook. On a side note, Blob emojis were dropped out by Google with the launch of Android Oreo back in 2017 in favor of circular ones, similar to other platforms. But back on topic, the Interface Options section inside the settings houses a new toggle to enable big emojis, as the main Telegram client has.
Telegram X 0.21.6.110x beta updates are out with lots of fixes, chat filters and instant Auto-Lock in tow
The latest set of Telegram X beta updates, from build 0.21.6.1100 to .1105, have been made official for all Google Play beta testers and are bringing around dozens of fixes as well as a couple of great new features. Perhaps, before going too deep into those, here are the changelogs for the releases that we mentioned in a combined fashion.
Redesigned internal application architecture from scratch. Reliable notifications and lower battery usage. Rolling out for 100% users (yolo).
- Dramatically improved notifications reliability.
- Reduced battery and network usage in the background
- Reduced multi-account resource usage. Even if you use 10+ accounts, everything should work as smooth as if you'd have only one account.
- Improved application launch speed
- Must-not-be-named-feature. Don't tell anyone about it, or it will disappear.
- Notifications now will work even if system restricts network access in the background
- Improved Passcode: Instant Auto-Lock, Allow read-only notifications, hold lock button to enter Passcode settings
- If the application crashes on launch, next time you launch it, it will show the recovery screen with a guide on how to get the issue fixed.
Fixed crashes and bugs only
Fixed several bugs on a very old "Add to Group" screen, such as:
- When you receive messages in other types of chats, they get displayed anyway.
- If there are too few groups at the beginning of the main chats list, loading progress may get stuck.
- Crash fixes for users with custom themes
- Fixed streaming for voice messages (it's now available for 1MB+ voice messages, like in previous versions)
- Fixed crash while managing the TDLib lifecycle
- Fixed must-not-be-named-feature while playing music
- Fixed Keep Media setting
- Fixed incorrect automatic storage clearing file size limit
- Other crash fixes
- Another TDLib lifecycle management fix
- Notifications won't reappear after dismissing them
- Groups in the Common list now update more often (once when the number changes and once an hour)
- Push notification handling improvements
- Separated inline results cache for channels / other chats
- Empty chats no longer affect badge counter
- Fixed a crash
- Added debug info for some unresolved crashes
- Improved notifications reliability
- Improved image cache
- Fixed rare crash while finishing audio playback
- Fixed rare crash while navigating & playing some video messages
The "internal architecture" of the app has been redesigned from scratch, thus promising a huge speed boost and lower battery usage overall. From a performance standpoint, things may not be easily distinguishable from the get-go if you have a recently released flagship device, but those with lower-end Android phones would certainly feel the difference. Other than those, many small bug fixes have been done to provide you with even more stable user experience, completely free of annoyances.
The Must-not-be-named-feature" in the changelog that you should tell no one about is the option to switch between personal chats, groups, etc. from the main chat page. It has finally arrived and surely, this is something that many would appreciate, including myself. So, to switch between different types of chats you have to hold your finger on the 'CHATS' text in the header for a split second and then swipe down without lifting your thumb up. After you have selected the desired option from the drop-down menu, you may do release it. This is a relatively simple task but at the same time measly noticeable. What I mean by that is that you will never know it existed there because there are no hints pointing out to it.
The next addition in one of these betas is a setting allowing you to instantly lock Telegram X with the built-in lock feature once you leave the app. It can be set that way from the 'Passcode Lock' settings page in the 'Privacy and Security' section inside the settings, or by long-pressing the new lock icon in the action bar (if requiring a passcode is enabled.)
One more new thing is read-only notifications. Basically, anyone can read your incoming messages, but will not be able to interact with them. For example, the direct reply feature will not be usable and the 'Mute' option too.
The stable update with the features and fixes we wrote about supposedly will go out this weekend, but for those eager people like us - you can apply for testing from the beta section for Telegram X below if you are on a desktop, or from the 'Application' page for mobile users. Otherwise, you can grab the newest APK from our telegram-android-beta channel dedicated especially for TG news and install it manually.
Telegram X's long-awaited new beta is finally up - brings updated notifications, new languages, and so much more
Telegram X is an official alternative Telegram client with its own set of crazy good features and very distinct user interface. There were no updates released for it since the middle of last December, so it has been such a long time, until now. Two new betas were posted on March 9 and the first one comes with a pretty lengthy list with changes, while the most recent update fixes a major bug, but more on it later. Let's first go through the full changelog for v0.21.6.1062 beta that has been posted by the developers of the app.
Telegram X is now available in Finnish, Tamil, Czech and Turkish.
Notifications 2.0: Rebuilt from scratch with advanced controls for active users & improved reliability
- Notifications from different chat kinds are displayed separately
- Dismissed notifications no longer reapper, when new message arrives
- Have full control over mentions, replies and pinned messages. Both globally & per-group
- Disable message preview from specific chats
- Dramatically improved notifications reliability
- Reduced background battery usage
- New badge counter settings
- Separate notification settings for channels
- Notification when somebody creates a secret chat with you
- Granular settings allowing to control notifications behavior as you wish
- You will no longer receive accidental notifications, when you are chatting on the other device
- Contents of pinned message is displayed in the notification
- Improved speed of receiving messages when app is open
- "New Contacts Notification" is now synced by the cloud
- Hide Secret Chats from Lock Screen
- [Android Oreo and above]: single notification category for private chats and group mentions ("Private Chats and Mentions")
- [Android Oreo and above]: Vibration / sound settings are no longer displayed, when unused by the notification style
- "Reset All Notifications" now resets all notification customizations
- Hints when notifications are turned off in system settings or blocked for any reason by system
- Error badges when some notifications are blocked by system
- When many messages arrive at once, only single notification will have sound
- Samsung Edge Display support for notifications
- Notifications will reappear when other user has edited a message (only in private chats by default)
- Hints when system auto sync turned off
Features and changes
- Create & Participate in Polls
- Pin messages in saved messages and any groups
- Improved censorship circumvention
- Change audio playback position without waiting for the file to download
- Incomplete login attempts in the sessions list
- Advanced Peer-to-Peer in Calls setting, synced by cloud
- Share contacts to other apps
- Open cloud chat from the secret chat screen
- t.me/confirmphone links support
- Open chat with bot in websites sessions list
- Alternative options list when logging out
- tg://login?code=... & t.me/login/... links support
- Support for nested languages
- t.me/setlanguage links support
- Improved speed of switching languages
- System sound picker (allows setting any custom notification sound)
- Improved resuming app from the background
- Updated libtgvoip to 2.4.3
- Telegram X is now optimized for x86_64 processors
- Better handling of hardware keyboards on login & password screens
- Online member count in supergroups
- Better sorting in supergroups members list
- "Apply to All" when choosing emoji tone
- When previewing stickers, after sticker menu appears you will still be able to move finger to view other stickers
- Improved stickers scrolling in stickers keyboard
- Improved opening chats with unread messages
- [Android Pie and above]: Images may be displayed with wrong rotation in the attach menu
- [Android Oreo and above]: Unused duplicate notification categories
- [Android Pie and above][Device-specific]: Music player notification not removed after closing player
- When viewing own restrictions in a group, due date is clickable
- Return button works properly when entering a code / password / email / etc
- Self-destructing media in media viewer
- Online status may not be updated in supergroup members list
- Bugs related to custom notification settings
The most notable new stuff is the updated notification settings with even more advanced options for you to tinker with, improvements in relation to Android's notification channel system on devices running Oreo and above, and support for the Samsung-exclusive Edge Display feature as a mighty bonus.
Another useful addition is the poll feature, which came like a month ago to the original Telegram app. From now on you can create your own polls with Telegram X on the go and do as many questionnaires as you want, no limits, no nothing.
Reportedly, version 0.21.6.1062 beta has not been working on armeabi-v7a, or, in other words, 32-bit devices), so version 0.21.6.1064 has been published on the Play Store to address that issue. Also, these releases pack a mouthful amount of bug fixes, performance improvements and lower down the background battery drain, thus we are suggesting you to hurry up and update immediately if you haven't already.
Source: Telegram X channel
Find more info and recent APKs on TGTester
Telegram X December updates come with improved sharing experience, custom theming support and lots of bug fixes
Telegram X for Android recently got built-in theming support in the beta channel, allowing users to create custom themes, edit them on-the-go and share them freely. This feature is now live for everyone with version 0.21.3.1037 stable that was released on December 17th on the Google Play Store.
Considering the number of betas and RCs (release candidates) that were available since last week (starting from v0.21.3.1024 beta) and the release notes for all of them, we can state that the development team behind has been focusing pretty much on three main things - improving the way themes work, squashing bugs and enhancing the content sharing options from the app itself to other apps and the other way around. We did break down the changelogs for all of these updates into categories like so:
- Added theme property: lightStatusBar
- Added theme colors: statusBarContent, statusBarLegacy, statusBarLegacyContent, headerTabActive, headerTabActiveText, headerTabInactive
- Added theme colors: sectionedScrollBar, sectionedScrollBarActive, sectionedScrollBarActiveContent
- Added theme colors for date picker header: headerPickerBackground, headerPickerText
- New theme colors for controlling line above message input field: chatSeparator, bubble_chatSeparator, shareSeparator
- Themes: if you have previously installed some theme with overridden headerText color, it be copied to headerTabActiveText, headerTabActive (with 90% alpha), headerTabInactive (80% alpha), so you will have proper color of tabs on the main screen after the update.
- Themes: new colors now can be found via search too.
- Content sharing
- Share from media viewer will always share content, not the link.
- Share from media viewer now works for all kinds of media: profile/chat photos, link preview media, etc. Both internally and externally.
- Share externally multiple media from the same author (note: external share is available only when media is downloaded & when selected media are of the same type)
- Share Contact in profiles
- Reworked share button & external share icon behavior inside Share pop-up for all kinds of content: messages, media, texts, URLs, etc.
- Improved sticker set sharing
- Improved proxy sharing
- Improved link sharing
- Improved sharing multiple media from other apps to Telegram X
- Share: behavior changes for media from link previews
- Supported more media types in link previews
- Save to Gallery/Music/Downloads + Clear from Cache for media in link previews
- External share for media in link previews
- Copy Link button when sharing public media from shared media
- Copy Link for messages and media now works offline
- Selected media no longer has to be from the same author for external share (if it is not a private chat)
- [Hopefully] finished work on the external share button: now it's available in many more cases.
- External share now available when selecting media in private chats from different senders as well
- Single-tap message saving on sharing screen
- Bug fixes
- Media sharing bug fixes
- Stopwatch button color in secret chats
- Sharing ignores "disable notifications" setting when forwarding to channels.
- Sharing theme files to Telegram X does not work properly.
- Sharing from other apps to Telegram X ignores channel silent broadcast setting.
- Sharing photo previously shared to TGX is not properly recognized by some apps.
- Incorrect subtitle color after opening search in the sharing screen
- Incorrect link preview layout when one of the header fields is empty.
- Improved resuming application when a chat was open.
- Header shadow disappears after using search on share and some other screens.
- Missing header shadow on group/channel management screen
- Saved Messages chat can always be found by "Saved Messages" query like in macOS client (https://rink.hockeyapp.net/apps/6ed2ac3049e1407387c2f1ffcb74e81f), regardless currently active language.
- Report messages through the media viewer
- Child Abuse report reason
- Slightly reorganized media viewer three-dot menu items
- When forwarding albums with "Send as Copy" enabled, they will be properly preserved.
- Removed unused permission
- Improved network detection when resuming the application
- Improved animation when sharing externally not yet completely downloaded files
Needless to say, there is also a separate changelog for version 0.21.3.1037 stable, which points out that there are new languages added as well as a new Night Black theme for dark UI fans like me, which is said to be more battery friendly.
Telegram X is now available in Arabic, Czech, Hebrew, Norwegian (Bokmål), Persian and Turkish
- Share posts and media with other apps
- User Themes: Create, Share and Install themes created by the community
- Brand new Night Black theme
- Faster sending of text messages
- Choose wallpaper while using dark themes
- Bold fonts have a much better look while using Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, Persian, and many other languages
- Other bugfixes and performance improvements
If you would like to get notified whenever there is a new beta update available, you should 100% go ahead and follow the Telegram X channel, which is the only official one.
Telegram X beta got a powerful theme editor, new Night Black theme and a bunch of other improvements
Telegram X is an alternative official client for Telegram messenger which has a beta release channel on Google Play. It's been a while since Telegram X was updated last time and in version 0.21.2.1016 users got a long-awaited themes editor.
With the possibility of adding custom translations introduced earlier and editing themes, Telegram X became as customizable as a standard Telegram app.
- Telegram X is now available in Arabic, Czech, Hebrew, Norwegian (Bokmål) and Persian
- Theme Creator: Create themes using dozens of features dedicated for designers for finding perfect colours.
- Install, Edit, Share themes created by the community
- Brand new look of Night Black theme
- Reworked text rendering in all places of the app. Now fonts have a much better look while using Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, Persian, and many other languages
- Boosted messaging speed: completely reworked how messages get sent internally and optimized loading speed of replies.
- Message input field does not clip anymore when you scroll it
- Choose wallpaper for night themes. When auto night mode enabled, it will be switched accordingly.
The first notable addition of this update is a Night Black theme. It is a pre-configured dark theme with fully dark colours. This theme can be found in the list of themes along with all others. Nav > Settings > Themes and Chats.
Themes editor is a core addition of this update. It allows users to customize almost every piece of the app inside the app itself and share custom themes with others. This feature also allows you to adjust colours of the existing theme.
Themes editor can be found in the Themes settings menu.
Nav > Settings > Themes and Chats > Scroll down to "Create a new Theme"
"Create new" button will make a copy of the currently active theme. The user will be able to set a new name to it as well. After pressing "Create" button you will see an editor view where you can switch between 10 different tabs. Each tab represents a specific section (feature) or UI element of the app. Each tab has a list of customizable elements.
Each customizable element has a string code and a colour code. The colour of the element can be changed by opening a colour picker menu for the representing string code. The colour picker itself support transparency, hex values and other features. It is also possible to have multiple colour values assigned to the single string code.
The theme editor also has an additional settings menu on the top right where you can edit a theme name, select a colour format and customize some additional properties.
In most cases, the user will have to save the change and go back to the app in order to check how it looks. For some small elements like loading animation, the theme editor view provides a preview.
While themes editing is a new thing for Telegram X, Standard Telegram client has this feature for a long time already. You can get some inspiration by joining an official themes channel for Telegram app on Android. Now it is finally possible to recreate your favourite Telegram themes for Telegram X. Don't forget that you can also add your name or a name of your channel / group to the theme and it will be shown to all users who want to apply it.
Source: Telegram beta channel
Telegram X, one of our favorite messaging apps on Android, after a month and a half of testing, finally got an update on the stable channel. There have been in total twenty-one beta/release candidate versions released to all testers, with numerous fixes and enhancements, including tons of improvements around devices running Android Pie, translations and more. Let's go through our, kind of quick, updates round-up:
Telegram X is now available in ten languages (English, French, German, Italian, Malay, Malayalam, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish and Ukrainian) and whenever your local language gets added to the list, you will be asked to switch to it, without an app update required.
If you want to suggest a translation change, you can check our detailed guide about "Translating Telegram Beta for Android" where everything needed is explained thoroughly.
Custom localization files are also supported with this release, giving you the freedom of making your own translations. For more information, please, read our article about this feature: "Telegram X gets custom localization support, i.e. translations"
Alongside new languages, English localization and a dozen minor parts of the UI have been improved, with many typos being fixed.
Also, date, time and number formats now always match the preferred system settings/locale.
Android Pie Support
Android Pie users can now see image previews in the notifications shade. To enable this feature: Settings - Notifications - Image Preview.
Fixed are issues like displaying wrong names and pictures in the notifications, Markdown formatting and navigation bar coloring in picture-in-picture mode (on Oreo too).
- You can send photos, GIFs or stickers directly from the keyboard.
- More message text sizes are available.
- Attach files from the Root directory and easily access Telegram file directories
- Ability to use HTTP Proxies
- 'Hide' button in notifications, which works like "Mark as Read", but without reading the message
- Date timestamps when viewing someone's profile photos
There are numerous performance improvements all over the board, small design tweaks, and general bug fixes.
For more information, take a look at TestingCatalog's "Telegram X for Android and September updates" summary and visit our "How to save time while using Telegram X with gestures" article with some pretty handy tips.
For a full rundown of all of the fixes, read "Telegram X: October Update" post from Telegram's blog.
Telegram X got 10 new updates this month, mostly related to translations and localizations. Let's see some of the highlight features that came with the builds released since the beginning of September:
Editing channels and supergroup content/info
You can now edit channel and supergroup descriptions and links by just tapping on them. Things are much easier now, aren't they?
New settings entries
There is a new settings entry in Settings - Interface named 'Remember media grouping setting' - When enabled, the last used media grouping settings will be saved. Another one is 'Save edited photos to gallery', which is also in the Interface section and is on by default.
Access to more directories for file attaching
Now, there is access to the root directory of the file system on your device and the Telegram media folders.
When entering picture-in-picture, the navigation bar color will be updated properly and the pop-up style when adding proxies is looking different now. Also, date timestamps are being shown when viewing someone's profile photos.
There are new localizations added and improvements to the Chat Preview, which is used in Settings - Themes and Chats - Text Size. It is also fully customizable through localizations (you can also make your own scenes this way) and the process of translating it is simplified too.
Length limit when editing chat titles and names
The length limits for chat titles and names have been changed to 128 and 64 characters respectively. It is stated that this is a server-side change if you are wondering.
This month has been all about localizations and bug fixes, but we still got a couple of useful changes. As a proof, in our teardowns, we also saw numerous string changes with each beta update. Sadly, we do not have any information regarding the official stable release date, after all of these betas.
FYI, you can check this channel for more info about localizations and Telegram X updates.
Telegram X is one of our top best Android apps and that is why this time we are going to focus on one of it's not so well known features called live locations. Live locations allow a user to share his location constantly to a chosen contact, or multiple contacts at the same time. If you are part of a group, then locations of participants will be showing up on a single map.
This is, in a way, similar to SnapMap in Shapchat, where you get a map and your friends' current location is marked on a map. Telegram X uses Google Maps as a maps provider by default, but there are other options you can choose from Settings > Privacy and Security > Map Preview Provider and Map Preview Provider in Cloud Chats. It also shows exact coordinates, so if you are lost, you can still find your way home. Other than that, it also suggests nearby places like cafes, restaurants and such. This is a pretty dope feature, and useful too, if you are going on a date with someone new and you don't know well the places around, or you name it.
To send a location, you have to tap on the attachments icon in the bottom toolbar in a chat screen and select the location icon. From there you can choose whether to share your current location or start sharing your live location. If you tap on the 'Share Live Location' button, you will get an option to choose for how long the location is going to be shared. If you swipe up though, you will get to see the previously mentioned suggestions for restaurants, and more.
Tell us if you are using live locations and what can be improved regarding them.
You can also check Telegram X beta to get all of the improvements and updates before everyone else does.
The Telegram X app for Android has a very unique design and set of features. In this regard, we are going to look at the gestures incorporated for navigating throughout the app, albeit some of them are reminiscent of IOS. This year, if you do not know, the trend is all about gesture-based navigation because every OEM, including Google, has adopted some variant of it in their software (Android Pie too). They are sort of meant to make your life easier for all huge-screen phone lovers. This is why we made a list of all of the gestures in Telegram X, in categories depending on the part of the UI that they are functional in.
- Long press on a chat title to activate the chat preview function. This one is kind of similar to 3D touch on IOS and the way it works. The preview window has shortcuts like mute/unmute, pin/unpin, mark as read and delete too.
- Long press on a profile picture to reorder your pinned chats.
- Swipe right to open the sidebar/side menu.
- Long press on a profile picture to preview it.
- Swipe on a message from right to left to reply/share. You can select a default behavior from Settings - Interface - Swipe actions.
- Swipe up from the camera or the attachments icon to enter the camera interface.
- Hold on the video/audio record button in the far right corner at the bottom to start recording, and slide left to cancel. Keep in mind that tapping switches between video and audio mode.
- Swipe up or down on a picture, video, or a GIF to exit full-screen mode.
- Long press on a media file/GIF to preview/delete/select/share and see in chat. This one works only in the chat settings/info page and only in MEDIA and GIFs tabs.
- Slide down to exit.
- Hold on a chat name/photo to preview.
- Swipe down to minimize the now playing pop-up.
- Long press to reorder songs in the queue.
- Swipe right to go back. This is very IOS-like, but I like it a lot.
- You can long-press on many things like links, media, messages and so on to see more actions available.
To summarize, gestures are a big hit since 2017 and an important part of Telegram X. I would like to see even more additions because gesture-based navigation is indeed more intuitive and easier to use on large phones. Tell us your thoughts and if you find a gesture that we are missing from the list, please, go ahead and tip us.
Follow our Telegram channel @tgtester to keep up with all latest updates and news around Telegram app for Android.
Following the Telegram app, Telegram X v0.20.11.980 beta also adds custom localizations, but not only that. First, let's see the changelog for this release:
- Install custom localizations from XML files
- Switch between installed localizations. Delete them by swiping or holding
- New tools for both translators and custom localization files creators
- Slightly reordered items in the settings
- More available message text sizes
- Changed the text size of message and caption input fields
- Enable Size Scaling: Turn on to apply system font size changes (Settings - Themes - Text Size - Three-dot Menu)
- Reset text size to default in the three-dot menu when
- Chat text size now applies to replies too (only to the content)
- Chat text size no longer applies to bios and descriptions
- When playing a game, the corresponding status will be set properly
- Icons when selecting output channel during a call
- Pause icon size in the in-app YouTube player is too small
- Alert dialogs are not translated regardless of the chosen language
- "OK" cannot be translated
- Bold text for some languages may not be working in some parts of the UI
What are localizations and how do they work
Localizations are translations. They can be official and unofficial. You can add your own translations too, and now there are more tools that will make the process a lot easier. You can get some tips about this feature from the Telegram X Localizations channel, or about translations from our previous post named Translating Telegram Beta for Android, where we also mentioned how you can contribute, or become a translation team member. Also, the official strings are available on the Telegram Translations website and Transifex.
How to add a custom localization file
To import an XML localization file, you have to download it as an attachment from a Telegram message. If you have downloaded it from the web, then you can add the file to your Saved Messages and then tap on it to apply it.
How to make your own localizations/translations
To create your own localizations, head into Settings - Language, tap on the icon with a question mark in the action bar and choose 'CREATE'. Type your locale code to create a localization file for the language you want. Now it will show up in the Language page where you can translate the strings, share them as an XML, or delete the file.
To wrap things up: So, custom translations are a cool new way of customizing an app to the max, but things like importing localizations should be a lot simpler than the current way of doing it. Let's see what comes in the future...
How to set up a proxy for Telegram X using pre-made proxies
- Open the Telegram X app.
- Go to one of these channels - MTProto or MTProto Proxies.
- Select Connect or "click here" and follow the instructions.
How to manually assign proxies
- Open the app and tap on the menu button to open the side panel.
- Select the Proxy option and then click on Add proxy.
- Tap on the type of proxy you want and fill in the necessary info.
Telegram is one of the most popular messaging platforms across the world due to its high level of security. Sadly, governments of some countries apply restrictions to the service, because Telegram doesn't share any user data. That's why Telegram has implemented some bypass mechanisms like proxy servers. You can read more about proxy servers from here. Also, you can go ahead and subscribe to the Telegram X beta from this link.
The Telegram X app got a total of six updates today (August 1st) with a very handy tool for translators and a huge pack of bugs squashed. Here are the two new features from version 0.20.10.968 beta:
- HTTP Proxy Setup
- Translations: Use "Unlock Language Settings" in the debug menu if you are a translator
You can read the full changelogs from here.
One of the latest releases brings the HTTP proxy feature, which is accessible from Settings - Data and Storage - Proxy.
There is also a hidden Language page in the settings, which you can enable by tapping repeatedly on the version number and selecting the Unlock Language Settings item. After that, you will need to restart the application to access this page. The purpose behind it is to help the translators.
Please, report if you experience any issues with the app. Here is our guide on "How to report bugs for Telegram X on Android" and also don't forget to drop us a comment down below too.
Telegram X app for Android received a plethora of updates and bug fixes this month and here's our review. Let's go through the main features:
Passcodes for Secret Chats and Fingerprint Unlock
- You can set-up an additional Passcode Lock of any type and options for Secret Chats. When enabled, it will be required each time you access a specified Secret Chat and its content will be hidden on the chats page. Set it up by using the three-dot menu.
- You choose between PIN, Password, Pattern, Gesture, and Fingerprint (when available) locking.
- You can enable Fingerprint to work in parallel with every other locking method.
- The global passcode and passcodes for Secret Chats are brute-force protected. When someone tries to find out your passcode, they'll be locked for up to 5 minutes, and changing any device setting or restarting the phone will not enforce them. So, it's secure as hell!
- Tapping on a GIF opens it in the full screen. There are new controls at the bottom, such as play, pause, and rewind.
- GIFs are now being played at their original quality and speed.
- High-res GIF previews and improved autoplay.
- Significantly improved CPU and memory usage taken by each GIF. They start faster too.
Shared GIFs, Voice and Video Messages tabs
- Three new Shared Tabs are available: GIFs, Voice Messages, and Video Messages. They are not visible when there's no content to show.
- The Audio tab is now hidden in case there's no content to show.
- New tabs are available in Saved Messages as well.
MTProxy and Censorship Circumvention
Due to government restrictions, Telegram is not available in some countries, e.g., Russia. To overcome this forced censorship, they've added new proxy methods and many configuration options.
- Save configurations, quickly switch between them and check their availability.
- MTProxy support.
- See if Telegram is available without proxies in your region.
- When at least one configuration is available, a quick toggle will be located in the app menu.
Playback through the earpiece
- When playing Voice messages, you can raise the phone to your ear, to listen to a voice message from the earpiece.
- Optionally. you can turn it on for Video messages from Settings – Interface.
Here's a short summary of everything chats-related:
- Messages get read as you scroll in the chat.
- If you didn't finish reading unread messages when you open a chat again, the scroll position will remain the same.
- Mark chats as read / unread.
- 'Mark as read' notification shortcut. You can find more info about it from here.
- Slide up to open a chat from the Chat Preview.
- Hold on chat avatars to reorder the Pinned Chats.
- Leave Channel/Leave Group for its creators from the Chats list/chat and profile screen.
- When deleting a secret chat, you can specify if you'd like to delete the history for the other side too.
- When leaving a basic group chat, you can specify if you'd like to delete the chat from your chats list, or just leave it, without deleting the history.
- Destroy a group/channel is moved to manage group/channel page inside the three-dot menu (only if there are less than 1000 members).
- Select a text and press the link icon to create a link, without using markdown tags.
- Select a text and tap on the three-dot menu to see the text styling options, in case the system controls are not being displayed.
- Search users among restricted members banned members and admins.
- When you tap on a hashtag in a channel, you will see all messages containing it as a list. Tap the header to toggle on the global search.
- View messages from the specific group member or a channel admin by using clicking on the option from the message menu, or holding on a member's name in the members' list.
Phew, that's a huge changelog! But wait, there is more. You can read the full list of changes from here or here. Also, you can subscribe to the beta program from our website and read our guide on how to report bugs for Telegram X from here.
To wrap things up, it's been a very busy month for all Telegram X developers. We got plenty of bug fixes and performance improvements, including some very useful feature additions. Maybe, the most important thing is the censorship circumvention options.
The devs are using Telegram X as a testing platform for developing new features and implementing huge design changes. It's built with the focus being on performance and sleek animations. It has gained a huge popularity since it's official launch and now it has more than 5 million installs on the Play Store. Due to these reasons, a bug can always occur and here's our guide on how to write a bug report. But before that, be sure to subscribe for the Telegram X beta program.
- For changelogs follow this Channel. It takes about an hour for any update to reach the Google Play Store.
- To report bugs, use this Group.
- Screen recorders:
- Screen Recorder - Free No Ads
- AZ Screen Recorder - No Root
When reporting bugs, please, include these things:
- The steps to reproduce (if you are able to reproduce it)
- Android Version (there are many version-specific issues)
- Device name & manufacturer (there are many device-specific issues)
- App version code (also check if you have the latest version installed). Don’t use terms like “the latest”
- Screen recording or screenshots with steps to reproduce are highly appreciated
- For keyboard-related bugs, include keyboard name & version Remember: Developers can't fix bugs that they can't reproduce.
Logs: To enable the logs settings, you have to tap 10 times on the app version at the bottom.
A bug report example
Issue: Quick reply from the notification bar doesn't send the message.
App version: 963
Device: Google Pixel 2 XL
Android: Stock 8.1.0
Steps to reproduce: When you get a message, tap on the Reply button, write something and hit Send. The message is not visible in the app though.