- What is it about?
- Why to report?
- What to report?
- How to report?
What is it about?
This is a short version of beta tester's handbook for TestingCatalog.
TestingCatalog is a community of Android apps beta testers. The main goal of this community is to improve a beta testing process and make it more optimised and useful for developers and for beta testers. The main goal of most beta testing programs is to gather some useful data. Beta testers feedback is the most important part of it.
TestingCatalog has a reporting functionality for beta testers which allows you to contribute to the beta testing community and Android apps development.
Why to report?
Beta test reports might have two different goals:
- To contribute to the app/game development by providing a useful feedback which can help developers to make the app better.
- To share the app review with TestingCatalog community to help others to be able to decide if the app/update is worth trying.
Those reports benefit the beta tester profile at the TestingCatalog. Having a good reporting history and rating might help you to receive rewards in future.
All beta reports are going to be public and they will be published on the Reports Tab
What to report?
Each beta testing report requires a system under test. Something that you can review, test and verify. TestingCatalog publishes a new beta application and a list application updates every day. The application itself and application update are systems under test.
Beta testing is very close to the Software testing. This means that bug reports and feature requests can be the most valuable parts of the beta testing reports.
Here is the list of the possible test report content.
For the application itself:
- Application review (text). The list of features and features overview. Test report should have more than 1500 characters and 3 screenshots.
- Application review (video). App and features overview in a form of the short youtube clip. The video should be at least 3 minutes long. The report should contain a short video description and 3 app screenshots.
- Application bug reports. The list of found bugs. It should contain at least 1 High priority bug or 3 Low priority issues. Test report should have more than 500 characters and 3 screenshots.
- Application feature requests. The list of possible feature requests. It should contain at least 3 feature requests. Feature requests list should have more than 500 characters and 3 screenshots.
- Application test cases. The list of application test cases which could be used by other testers for the regression testing. It should contain at least 3 test cases. Test case list should have more than 500 characters and 3 screenshots.
For the application update:
- Update review (text). The list of features and features overview. Test report should have more than 1500 characters and 3 screenshots.
- Update review (video). Update changes overview in a form of the short youtube clip. The video should be at least 3 minutes long. The report should contain a short video description and 3 app screenshots.
- Update bug reports. The list of found bugs. It should contain at least 1 High priority bug or 3 Low priority issues. Test report should have more than 500 characters and 3 screenshots.
How to report?
Test reporting feature of TestingCatalog is closed for everyone and you will require getting an access to this functionality first. If you want to get an access, you can request it via the Contacts Form
If you have an access, you will see REPORT button below each project description.
IMPORTANT This functionality only available on the website!
For the screenshots hosting you will require an Imgur Account.
Test reporting Form
Beta test reporting flow:
- Install Application/Update under test
- Test the App/Update
- Write your test report in the text editor (I use Evernote)
- Check the text length to make sure that it is meet the requirements (can be done via Google Translate)
- Check spelling and translation via Google Translate, especially if English is not your native language.
- Check the text for mistakes via Grammarly, especially if English is not your native language.
- Format test report with Markdown syntax.
- Prepare App/Update screenshots and upload them to your Imgur Account.
- Open App details page on TestingCatalog and press the REPORT button.
- Come up with the report title and copy test report text to the text description field.
- Check Preview section below to make sure that test report looks properly.
- Copy direct screenshot URLs to the Screenshot text fields. The URL must be a direct link to the Image with a file extension in the path like https://i.imgur.com/z37ICDE.png
- Press submit button and check that it passes validation.
The test report will require passing validation before being published. In case if test report doesn't feet the requirements, you will receive an email with comments and suggestions.
This tutorial will be extended and updated in future according to the community requests. If Something isn't clear, please leave a comment below.