How to join any android application beta testing program
Four simple steps are needed:
- Choose an application in TestingCatalog.
- Click JOIN COMMUNITY button if available and join Google Plus community with your Google Play account.
- Click OPT-IN button and press BECOME A TESTER button.
- Press "Download the app on Google Play" link at the bottom of the page.
Let's take a look closer at the each of them!
1. Choose an application on TestingCatalog.
All applications are listed on our Home page, feel free to pick whatever you like.
2. Click JOIN COMMUNITY button if available and join Google Plus community with your Google Play account.
There might be four different scenarios:
- Beta application doesn’t have any Google+ community. In this case, JOIN button is disabled.
- Beta application has a Google+ community but beta testing is open for everyone. This means that you can join Google+ community if you want but it is not mandatory.
- Beta application has open Google+ community for beta testers. This means that you will need to join this Google+ community first to get an access to the OPT-IN link.
- Beta application has closed Google+ community for beta testers. In that case, you will need to request membership in the Google+ community and wait until community moderator will accept your request. Unfortunately, it may take a while in some cases.
IMPORTANT! Please make sure that you are using the same google account in Google Plus and in the Google Play. If you will join Google+ community with one account and your Google Play in associated with another - you won’t be able to access an OPT-IN page.
Besides that, there are three other beta testing types - google groups, email invites and published applications with (Beta) tag in the name. Currently, there no such applications listed on the TestingCatalog.
3. Click OPT-IN button and press BECOME A TESTER button.
If beta testing is open for everyone or if you joined associated Google+ community, after pressing OPT-IN button you will see a Google Play page like "https://play.google.com/apps/testing/PACKAGE_NAME"
Press BECOME A TESTER to proceed.
What can go wrong?
- Country restriction. The developer can specify application availability for each country and if on the Google Play you will see a clear message about that - on this page, it will look like “App not available for this account”. The best thing which you can do in this case is to ask developers to the associated Google+ community to add your country to the list.
- Testers limit. The developer can also specify a maximum amount of beta testers which means that if this limit is 1000 testers, you won’t be able to get an access to this page. I will look like “App not available for this account” either. You can try to contact developers in this case too.
- Time delay. Sometimes, even if you joined Google+ community you will see “App not available for this account” just because it may take up to 4 hours (according to the google documentation) before an application will become available for your account. In this case, I would suggest checking this OPT-IN url after some time, according to my experience it usually takes less than 15 minutes.
Fortunately, all those three types of restrictions are rare these days.
4. Press "Download the app on Google Play" link at the bottom of the page.
This link will navigate you to the Google Play page where you will be able to download your beta version. Why is it better than downloading beta version on third party resources? Because you can be sure that this app was not modified and you can trust it as much as you trust this particular app developer.
Enjoy new user experience!
- OPT-IN URL - A link to the application beta page at the Google Play.
- Google Play - Android application store.
- TestingCatalog - A handpicked selection of the best applications for beta testing