This is the second beta apps collection I would like to share after Google Beta Apps Collection
Microsoft has a huge list of Android apps and mostly all of them are available for beta testing. Besides that, Microsoft has a different beta management strategy and they use Google Plus communities a lot. As an additional plus - they update their changelogs frequently and you can always see what you are actually beta testing. Additionally, you can always identify a beta product by the "Preview" ⚡️prefix.
A complete list of all Microsoft apps in beta for Android
- SwiftKey Beta
- Microsoft Edge Preview
- Microsoft Flow Beta
- Microsoft Insiders
- Miscrosoft Launcher Beta
- Office Insider for Android
- Office Lens Android Preview
- OneNote for Android Beta Program
- Skype Lite Beta
- Skype Preview Beta
- Microsoft Translator Beta
- Windows Dev Center Beta
- MSN News Beta
- Cortana Preview Beta
- One Drive Preview
- HERE Maps Beta
- LinkenIn Beta
- Microsoft TO-DO Beta
Do you know more? Feel free to submit them via Application Form
- Swiftkey Beta TestingCatalog Page
- Swiftkey Beta Changelogs History
- Swiftkey Beta Google Play Beta
- Swiftkey Beta Google Play Stable
- Swiftkey Beta Support Page
SwiftKey keyboard is a very popular keyboard which was one of the first swipe keyboards ⌨️. If I am not mistaken, it was bought by Microsoft in 2016 for 250k. It was one of the first Android apps bought by Microsoft. At this time it already had smart words predictions feature and a huge user base. From the beta testing perspective, SwiftKey app had a Google group for beta testers and good community management culture at that moment already. At some point, they released a standalone beta version of SwiftKey app. From this moment, Android users are able to install two SwiftKey apps (Stable and Beta) at the same time.
Swiftkey Beta Description
Welcome to the SwiftKey beta program - here you can test early performance updates, new unreleased features, customizations, and special themes. Thanks for helping us make SwiftKey the best it can be! The SwiftKey beta app for Android will not replace the regular SwiftKey app on your phone but will be downloaded as a second app so you can switch between the two for comparison.
Microsoft Launcher Beta (former Arrow Launcher)
- Microsoft Launcher Beta TestingCatalog Page
- Microsoft Launcher Beta Changelogs History
- Microsoft Launcher Beta Google Play
- Microsoft Launcher Beta Google Play Beta OPT-IN
- Microsoft Launcher Beta Google+ Community
- Microsoft Launcher Beta Website
- Microsoft Launcher Beta Garage Profile
Arrow launcher was originally developed by the team from Beijing in China. This team is also famous as a developer of the Next lock screen app. Not sure about details but they joined a Garage project from Microsoft in 2017. You can find more details on their Garage Profile. Arrow launcher was renamed to the Microsoft launcher and they started adding integration with Microsoft ecosystem after that. It brought features like Cortana integration, Onedrive sync and others to the app. Arrow launcher had a big beta testing community in Google+ since the beginning. This community is still working and growing. You can always find recent changelogs there and share your feedback.
Microsoft Launcher Beta Description
With Microsoft Launcher (formerly known as Arrow Launcher), you can personalize your Android device to match your style with wallpapers, theme colors, icon packs and more. With a Microsoft account or work/school account, you can access your calendar, documents, and recent activities in your personalized feed. You can even open photos, docs and web pages on your Windows PC* to be productive across all your devices.
- LinkedIn Beta TestingCatalog Page
- LinkedIn Beta Changelogs History
- LinkedIn Beta Google Play
- LinkedIn Beta Google Play Beta OPT-IN
- LinkedIn Beta Website
LinkedIn was acquired by Microsoft in 2016. As far as I know, the beta release channel was opened later in 2017. This app just has a normal public beta in Google Play. Nothing special here.
LinkedIn Beta Description
Connect to opportunity and tap into your professional potential with the LinkedIn app. The app makes it easier to discover, connect and nurture relationships with people that matter, search and apply for jobs, and get updates on topics and companies that make a difference all on the go. This online social network is a great place connect and stay in touch with your professional relationships.
Skype Beta and Skype Light Beta
- Skype Beta TestingCatalog Page
- Skype Beta Changelogs History
- Skype Beta Google Play
- Skype Beta Google Play OPT-IN
- Skype Light Beta Changelogs History
- Skype Light Beta Google Play
- Skype Light Beta Google Play OPT-IN
Skype was bought in early 2011. At the moment when they released an Android version, Skype was already one of core parts of Microsoft ecosystem. Skype for Android has two versions - Normal client and Lite version. Skype light was called Skype Mingo in the early days. Both of them have a standard beta release channel in Google Play.
Skype Preview Description
By downloading Skype Preview, you’ll gain early access to our newest — and coolest — features. Of course, while you’re having fun, know that this is a work in progress, so we’ll be hoping to get your vital feedback as we add new enhancements and features. Simply click the heart icon on the main screen and you will be able to send your comments to our team, helping us shape the future of Skype.
Skype Light Beta Description
Skype Lite is the new Skype built for India to meet your daily messaging and video communication needs. It is small, fast, and capable. It lets you send free text messages and make voice & video calls even under limited network conditions. Skype Lite will always help you stay connected with your friends and family.
- Cortana Preview TestingCatalog Page
- Cortana Preview Changelogs History
- Cortana Preview Google Play
- Cortana Preview Google Play OPT-IN
- Cortana Preview Help Page
Cortana is a voice assistance for Windows. It was released as a Preview app at the beginning. In 2017 it was integrated to the Microsoft launcher (former Arrow). As an app, it has a standard beta release channel in Google Play.
Cortana Preview Description
Bring your smart digital assistant to your phone to help keep track of the important stuff wherever you are, across your devices. Microsoft Cortana is your free smart digital assistant. She can support you by giving you reminders, keeping your notes and lists, taking care of tasks and helping manage your calendar.
Office Preview and Office Lens Preview
- Office Preview TestingCatalog Page
- Office Preview Changelogs History
- Excel Preview Google Play
- Excel Preview Google Play OPT-IN
- Word Preview Google Play
- Word Preview Google Play OPT-IN
- PowerPoint Preview Google Play
- PowerPoint Preview Google Play OPT-IN
- Office Preview Google+ Community
- Office Lens Preview Changelogs History
- Office Lens Preview Google Play
- Office Lens Preview Google Play OPT-IN
- Office Lens Preview Google+ Community
This is a collection of 3 apps - Word, Excel, and PowerPoint + Lens App as an addition. Each of them is available for beta testing and all of them are using the same beta testing community in Google+. In addition, there is also an Office Lens Preview app which allows you to scan your documents and recognize the text.
Excel Preview Description
The familiar Excel spreadsheet app lets you create, view, edit and share your files with others quickly and easily. It also lets you view and edit workbooks attached to email messages. Work with anyone, anywhere with confidence. With Excel, your Office moves with you.
Word Preview Description
Microsoft Word for Android is made for work on-the-go. Word has the familiar look, feel and quality of Office with an intuitive touch experience designed for Android phones and tablets. Whether you want to create a beautiful document or just need to read and make quick edits on-the-go, Word gives you the best productivity experience you want. Work with confidence knowing that we save your changes automatically and you won’t lose any formatting or data as you move across devices. You’ll have easy access to your documents in the cloud whenever you need them.
PowerPoint Preview Description
Microsoft PowerPoint for Android is made for work on-the-go. PowerPoint has the familiar look, feel and quality of Office with an intuitive touch experience designed for Android phones and tablets. Whether you want to create a beautiful presentation from scratch or just need to read and make quick edits on-the-go, PowerPoint gives you the best productivity experience you want. Work with confidence knowing that we save your changes automatically and you won’t lose any formatting or charts as you move across devices. You’ll have easy access to your presentations in the cloud whenever you need them.
Office Lens Preview Description
Office Lens trims, enhances and makes pictures of whiteboards and documents readable. You can use Office Lens to convert images to PDF, Word and PowerPoint files, and save to OneNote, OneDrive, or your local device.
HERE Maps Beta
- HERE Maps Beta TestingCatalog Page
- HERE Maps Beta Changelogs History
- HERE Maps Beta Google Play
- HERE Maps Beta Google Play OPT-IN
Technically, this app shouldn't be a part of this list. This app was sold by Nokia in 2015 to the Automaker's consortium. At the same time, Microsoft had a deal with Here in order to be able to use Here maps data in their products. In addition, Here maps was an official maps provider for Windows phones. In fact, Here maps is a separate company and it is not a part of Microsoft. Windows phone is no longer supported and in the current Microsoft ecosystem for Android, Here Maps stays in the same maps provider spot.
HERE Maps Beta Description
Getting around town is easier and more personal with HERE WeGo. Use offline maps to navigate without an internet connection. Get directions and other info you need to go from A to B your way, including transit ticket and carsharing prices, departure times and more.
Other Microsoft Apps
Microsoft Edge Preview
- Microsoft Edge Preview TestingCatalog Page
- Microsoft Edge Preview Changelogs History
- Microsoft Edge Preview Google Play
- Microsoft Edge Preview Google Play OPT-IN
Microsoft Edge Preview Description
Microsoft Edge, now available on Android, creates one continuous browsing experience for Windows 10 users across their devices. Content and data sync seamlessly in the background, so users can browse across devices, without skipping a beat. Familiar Microsoft Edge features like the Hub allow users to organize the web in a way that cuts through the clutter, making it easier to find, view and manage their content on-the-go. Microsoft Edge is designed for Windows 10 users to browse the web how they need to, wherever they are, without disrupting their flow.
Microsoft Flow Beta
- Microsoft Flow Beta TestingCatalog Page
- Microsoft Flow Beta Changelogs History
- Microsoft Flow Beta Google Play
- Microsoft Flow Beta Google Play OPT-IN
Microsoft Flow Beta Description
Carry the full power of Microsoft Flow in your pocket. Boost your team's productivity with Microsoft's best-in-business workflow automation service.
- Microsoft Insiders TestingCatalog Page
- Microsoft Insiders Changelogs History
- Microsoft Insiders Google+ Community
OneNote for Android Beta Program
- OneNote for Android Beta Program TestingCatalog Page
- OneNote for Android Beta Program Changelogs History
- OneNote for Android Beta Program Google Play
- OneNote for Android Beta Program Google Play OPT-IN
- OneNote for Android Beta Program Google+ Community
OneNote for Android Beta Program Description
Type, handwrite, draw, and clip things from the web to get down your thoughts into your notebook. Use OneNote's flexible canvas to place content anywhere you want. You can even scan handwritten notes or pages straight into OneNote then make them searchable.
Microsoft Translator Beta
- Microsoft Translator Beta TestingCatalog Page
- Microsoft Translator Beta Changelogs History
- Microsoft Translator Beta Google Play
- Microsoft Translator Beta Google Play OPT-IN
Microsoft Translator Beta Description
Microsoft Translator is a free, personal translation app for 60+ languages, to translate text, voice, conversations, camera photos, and screenshots. You can even download languages for offline translation for free to use when you travel!
Windows Dev Center Beta
- Windows Dev Center Beta TestingCatalog Page
- Windows Dev Center Beta Changelogs History
- Windows Dev Center Beta Google Play
- Windows Dev Center Beta Google Play OPT-IN
Windows Dev Center Beta Description
The Windows Dev Center app lets you quickly view details about the health and performance of your Windows Store apps on your Android smartphone.
MSN News Beta
- MSN News Beta TestingCatalog Page
- MSN News Beta Changelogs History
- MSN News Beta Google Play
- MSN News Beta Google Play OPT-IN
MSN News Beta Description
Read the day’s top stories and breaking news from the industry’s best sources, hand-picked by our editors. Plus, easily stay updated on any topic that you care about, from global events to your local news.
One Drive Preview
- One Drive PreviewTestingCatalog Page
- One Drive Preview Changelogs History
- One Drive Preview Google Play
- One Drive Preview Google Play OPT-IN
- One Drive Preview Google+ Community
One Drive Preview Description
Do more wherever you go with Microsoft OneDrive. Get to and share your documents, photos, and other files from your Android device, computer (PC or Mac), and any other devices you use. Use the Office mobile apps to stay productive and work together, no matter where you are. The OneDrive app for Android lets you easily work with your personal and work files when you’re on the go.
Microsoft TO-DO Beta
- Microsoft TO-DO Beta TestingCatalog Page
- Microsoft TO-DO Beta Changelogs History
- Microsoft TO-DO Beta Google Play
- Microsoft TO-DO Beta Google Play OPT-IN
- Microsoft TO-DO Beta Google+ Community
Microsoft TO-DO Beta Description
Microsoft To-Do is a simple and intelligent to-do list that makes it easy to plan your day. Whether it's for work, school or home, To-Do will help you increase your productivity and decrease your stress levels. It combines intelligent technology and beautiful design to empower you to create a simple daily workflow. Organize your day with To-Do's smart Suggestions and complete the most important tasks or chores you need to get done, every day. To-Do syncs between your phone and computer, so you can access your to-dos from school, the office, or the grocery store or even while you're traveling around the world.
If you are a heavy Windows user, these apps are definitely worth trying. If not, you still might be interested in trying a new ecosystem. With an addition of Microsoft Launcher, you now can experience the whole set of all necessary apps on your Android phone. Nothing else to add here, just give it a try and Happy Testing! ⚡️